Revolutions Per Minute
Presented by Ausdance VIC in partnership with the Australia Youth Dance Initiative
REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE, directed by Alice Lee Holland, brought together more than 150 youth dancers, leaders and facilitators from around the world for five incredible days of creativity. Together they created, collaborated and reflected while immersing in energising and inspiring dance encounters.
Our Festival theme, revolutions per minute, acknowledges our rapidly changing world and – as young people – your vital part to play. The future of the world is in your hands: how does it look right now? How does it need to change – and how can dance be part of that change? I encourage you to frame your Festival experience with these questions, and bring your reflections to the two Youth Dance Forums so that we can create some new ways forward, togetherAlice Lee Holland, Director of Revolutions Per Minute AYDF 2019
AYDF 2019 Program Overview
With an extraordinary line up of practitioners from all over including the UK, Singapore, India, Scotland, Finland, Denmark and Australia, the 5-day long festival had youth dancers dance, think, make and talk dance together, through daily sessions in contemporary dance, choreography, repertory and improvisation. Running alongside the youth dancers’ sessions was a 2.5-day Think Tank program for dance leaders, educators, professional and emerging artists with an interest in youth dance/arts practice.
- Opening Ceremony (7 July)
- Week-long workshops, panels, keynotes and classes for young dancers
- Think Tank program (8-10 July) for youth dance leaders, dance educators, professional and emerging artists working with youth
- Revolutions per minute (rpm) (10 & 11 July) – Performances by Australian and international youth dance companies at Melbourne’s flagship contemporary arts venue, Meat Market
- International Exchange between Australian and international youth dance companies