First aid is an important qualification for professional dance teachers. It relates to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017 and industry-led safe dance practices. However currently first aid certification is not mandatory for dance teachers in Victoria. The onus is on individual businesses to determine minimum qualifications from those they employ.
Ensuring Health and Safety
All dance activity leaders/teachers must take measures to ensure the health and safety of everyone attending dance sessions. These include, but are not limited to:
- Clearly communicated hazard identification and risk reduction processes. Make these clear and easy to follow for participants, parents and guardians
- Adapting and aligning existing face to face delivery terms and conditions such as disclaimers, waivers and/or studio sign up documents to the online environment.
- When leading dance activities for adult, frail, elderly or vulnerable individuals, experienced or novice, more care must be practised.
- Ensuring your first aid training and certification is up to date.
- Providing safety instructions prior to and during dance activities. These will need to be adapted for your own context.